JUNIOR COMPETITIVE (U19 & U17)
The Junior Competitive Rowing Program is geared for youth age 14-18 that have met the skill assessment requirements and who are committed to training at a competitive level. Youth are required to attend all practice sessions and are accountable to their teammates in training.
The Development Rowing Program is geared for youth wishing to increase their rowing skills and build the strength and endurance necessary for the Junior Competitive Program. This program will give participants grounding in both sculling and sweeping, and develop boat competency necessary to start competing. Entry points to this program are in June and September, after completing Learn to Row.
Our program values the individual, believes in being part of a team, and supports our athletes regardless of ability and experience, from the athlete stepping into a boat for the first time to the athlete striving for a National Championship.
LTR or 1+ Year(s) Competitive
Ability to Swim | Moderate to Excellent Physical Fitness | Commitment to Most Practices and Regattas
14-18 | Fee includes RCA registration and Local Regatta Fees
Athletes are required to pull 2k and 6k erg tests at the Coach's discretion throughout the season. These scores provide the coaching staff with performance benchmarks, and do not dictate final crew selection.
All athletes are required to race in the current Hanlan unisuit: ordering details.
- Attends all practices and regattas, except with advanced notice.
- Brings proper training attire to each practice and running gear in case of poor weather.
- Puts forth his/her best effort in practice and contests.
- Treats coaches, officials, teammates, and opponents with respect.
- Conducts himself/herself in a manner that brings credit to Hanlan.
- Understands unacceptable conduct may result in forfeiting privilege to participate.
- Accepts training rules, team behavioral standard, safety policy, and responsibilities for equipment.
- Must be in Hanlan uniform while competing.
- Gets enough sleep, eats well, contributes to the team, and has a positive attitude.
- Expresses concerns directly to the coach
- Notifies coach of any schedule conflicts in advance
- Supports son/daughter in all related activities
- Good sportsmanship
- Help with chaperoning/car-pooling to regattas
2016 PRACTICE SCHEDULe
MAY 3 - LATE JUNE
Tuesday 4:30pm - 6:15pm
Thursday 4:30pm - 6:15pm
Sunday 6:00am - 8:00am
LATE JUNE - EARLY AUGUST
Monday - Friday 6:45am-8:45am
Saturday racing OR Sunday 6:00am - 8:00am
2016 REGATTA SCHEDULE
Saturday June 24th, 2016: Guelph Lake Guelph RC. Guelph Ontario
Saturday July 2nd , 2016: WIFC South Course Welland Ontario
Saturday July 9th, 2016: Lake Fanshawe London RC London Ontario
Saturday & Sunday July 23rd & July 24th: RowOntario Championships, Welland ON
Tuesday August 2nd to Sunday August 8th: Royal Canadian Henley (select crews only)
Caro Kronlachner, Junior Head Coach
Over the last three years Caro has enthusiastically supported the head coaches of Hanlan's Senior and Junior Competitive programs on and off the water. She also brings six years of experience coaching Learn To Row crews and four seasons of assistant coaching and recruiting University of Toronto novice crews to her new role. Caro's love of rowing began as a University of Toronto varsity athlete, and in 2015 she pulled together a competitive U of T women's alumni eight to race at the prestigious Head of the Charles Regatta in Boston.