Two Hanlan crews won gold medals at the Head of the Trent held on Saturday, October 5 in Peterborough. Finishing at the head of the pack were Phil and Steven Malinas in the Club Men's Double as well as Hanlan's high junior men's eight. Both crews will be competing at the Head of the Charles in Boston in a few weeks' time. For unknown reasons the Head of the Trent is notorious for drawing poor weather and rowing conditions although some years it has had some glorious days. This year, although it was cloudy and cool, the rains held off and the wind was moderate for all the races.
Results for all crews are as follows.
- Championship Men Single Alex Soutter 4th, Peter MacGowan (Hanlan past president and Masters rower) was 7th
- Club Men Single Mick Malowany 2nd, Phil Malinas 4th and Dean Sela 13th
- Masters Men Single Jerome Hass 8th
- Grand Masters Men Single Harry Vanderlugt 13th and John Sherrick 18th (both rowing at an age disadvantage)
- Club Women Single Megan Lewicki 3rd, Kelly Brigley 8th
- Masters Women Single Jeanette Herrle 4th, Jennifer Dickie 5th
- Grand Masters Women Single Mary Ann Crichton 7th (a welcome return for MaryAnn after a 17-year break from competition)
- Club Men Double Phil and Steven Malinas 1st, Matt Cohen and Nicholas Graham 10th, Andrew Johnston and Olivier Couttolenc 12th (the latter 2 crews are juniors)
- Club Women Double Tess Buchan and Mauricie Summers 9th, Emma Randall and Louise Castonguay 10th (both crews are juniors)
- Masters Men Double Craig Lauder and Peter Heywood 10th
- Masters Women Double Barb Prevedello and Diane Mara 7th (also rowing at an age disadvantage)
- Club Women Quad Lightweight crew of Kate Nay, Nicole Gough, Emma Sheehan and Megan Lewicki 3rd; Junior crew of Ileana Gasbarro, Jayme Stokes, Emma Orcutt, Shannon McIlhone and Nicholas Salama (cox) 17th
- Club Men Coxed Four Juniors Alex, Ian, Hammy and Blaire 10th
- High School Men Eight Carter Nord, Dempster Schekenberger, Brooks Ralph, Theo Kingdom, James Griffith, Matthew Stackhouse, Liam Finlay, Jacob Givertz-Steel and Nikhil Kassum (cox), 1st
- Recreational Coxed Four Nicola Worsfold, Claudia Stodt, Phil Kim, Aidan Hammond and Jeanette Herrle (cox) 7th
Our resident University of Toronto rowing team contested 10 events finishing with a fourth, three fifths, two sevenths, one ninth, and two tenths.
Congratulations to all the Hanlan and U of T athletes who raced at Trent.